Pluses and Minuses of Endurance Testing
While stress testing brings the system up to its functional boundary; endurance testing (checking of the potential capacities of the product system)is focused on the applications limitations caused after its continuous usage.
Conducting software testing of such a type, the specialists can use the range of special test instruments among which there are:
- Apache JMeter,
- Appvance, etc.
What are the advantages of product capacities testing?
- It provides the client with accurate data that can be used for the validation and improvement of the infrastructure needs.
- It defines the possible system performance errors that can occur after its long-term usage with a high load level.
- It detects the reduction of the system performance after continuous usage.
- It shows what load level the system is able to withstand.
But, nevertheless, there is a range of disadvantages of testing of the potential system capacities among which the following ones can be mentioned:
- It is rather difficult to define what exact load level should be taken for checking.
- If the test environment is not isolated, then testing may cause serious failures in the system work.
- In some cases, some system components provide no respond to the test.