Nowadays, independent testing becomes more and more popular. And it is really true, performing testing of mobile apps and systems, desktop testing, web testing or software program testing, the specialists that are not connected with the project team can significantly increase the development efficiency.
But, on the other hand, conducting load testing or checking of the system functionality, the independent testers may not be fully aware of whole product requirements or comprehend the aims and tasks improperly.
What are the advantages of independent testing?
- An independent tester detects more defects than the testers of the development team or even the developer himself.
- Business analysts, designers, developers, marketing specialists make their own suggestions about the changes of requirements specifics. The independent tester may have quite another vision of the checking process that may detect unexpected errors of the system.
- The independent tester is reporting to the project board. He provides all data and results accurately and without any changes and modifications.
- Pretty often, the separate budget is planned for independent testing. This helps to ensure that the financial expenses were spent properly on courses, testing tools, equipment, etc.
Besides that, sometimes it is easier for testers to progress up the career ladder. But still, there are certain risks of such type checking.
What are the risks of independent and complex testing?
- A high possibility of the isolation of testing process from the developers and other members of the project team. Also, there is a probability of the rejection of broader vision of quality concept and business purposes - excessive focus on the defects, etc.
- The possibility of the absence of a smooth communication within the project team.